After Faith woke up we tried the bottle again but she still didn't like it. We tried putting the milk in a sippy cup but she still wouldn't take it. We got dressed and went down to breakfast. She ate a hard boiled egg, watermelon, some of my omelet, tomatoes, banana, orange, etc... The girl knows how to eat! We met Louise and our driver and headed to finalize the adoption in Chengdu City. They took our family picture and then we went into a conference room to sign the papers. They said this was our last chance to say no to the adoption. We said absolutley YES! People over here really do not understand why we want to adopt. Repeatedly people ask our guide why we want her. We left that office and headed over to a notary's office to have the papers finalized. Here we had our first experience of public disapproval of the adoption. We walked up to the office and our guide told us to wait out front. As we stood there a worker came out and motioned us to another door. We said no we are waiting on our guide. As we were telling her this an elderly lady stood up from inside and started screaming at us and walking toward us. The lady then walked to the elderly women and had her sit back down and we walked inside and followed our guide. The worker passed us several times while we were there, I am not sure if it was intentional. Our guide said the elderly lady was telling us that what we were doing was not 'well'. We left there and went back to the hotel. Brian then left to get us something to eat for lunch from McDonalds. Faith and I had fun playing. This has been the times when she has bonded the most with us...just being silly. We played with a small beach ball, putting it on my head and letting it fall. She would laugh and motion for me to do it again. Then she started to put it on her head and let it fall. Faith loves to copy what we do. We threw the ball and I would tell her to get it. We played with some glittery stickers I brought and played chase. She is just precious. Has a ready smile and is so adorable definetly easy to love. When Brian came back from the hotel he said he was in line and heard English behind him. So he spoke to a man with 2 sons about ordering and then the man asked why we where here. They too were also here adopting. They exchanged room numbers and left. Brian had already forgotten their number when he returned. I asked him to describe the man. I had become friends through China Adopt Talk with a mom who was also adopting a daugher from the same orphange as Faith. I had read her blog and knew what her husband looked like. I knew their travel schedule and thought they had left Chengdu the day before. We never met up since we were busy getting Faith. Brian is horrible with descriptions so I didn't know if it was the family I knew plus I thought they were gone. The phone rang and Brian answered. It was the man saying they were coming to our room. 2 minutes later they were here and indeed it was the friend, Amy. We were able to visit for a while. It was nice to talk to some Americans and they were able to give us some tips. They had an extra Chinese bottle they were not using and offered to let us try it with Faith. We also told them that the bank had denied $1,000 that we tried to convert into yuan, which had caused us to have very little spending money. They just so happened to have plenty of brand new $100 bills that they traded with us; so we could get more yuan. Since they were about to leave on their flight to Guangzhou, they also gave us extra water and some cloting detergent to wash a few clothes. God provides in so many ways! We were really blessed by getting to see them, and the way Brian just happened to run into them at McDonalds just a few hours before they flew to Guangzhou had God's handprint all over it. It was really sweet to watch Faith interact with their daughter Hannah (20 months) and their 2 sons. Faith was territoral of her toys and we saw a different side to our daughter. She and Hannah both have a little spice to their personalities. We said our goodbyes and then it was time for nap. I wasn't looking forward to it since yesterday was hard. She surprised me though. She let me walk with her and sing and she fell asleep in my arms. It made my day! I laid her down in the crib and she slept there for the first time. Faith likes to wake up slowly but is happy and does not cry. We were eagar to see if she could drink from the new bottle so we fixed her formula. She immediatly took the whole bottle! Hooray! Thank you God. We were very excited. We left to meet Louise and pick up the pictures we had developed. 35 of the 54 turned out. They are pictures the FM took while she was caring for Faith. After that we wanted to eat some local food. Louise was worried our tummies couldn't handle it but we told her we loved spicy food. She helped us order. We got boiled dumplings, boiled rice with chicken and fried dumplings. We tried some of Louise spicy dumplings and cucumbers. Everything was very good! Faith eats very well and feeds herself with a spoon. We left there and walked around the city. It reminds me a lot of New York City....with constant stares. They have a lot of shops and people are always out. We walked around the Walking Street which is what it is. Faith started rubbing her eyes so we headed back to the hotel. We came in and played for a while. I got on the computer to start the initial post and after a few minutes I looked down and Faith was asleep on the floor by me...7:30. No bath that night! We layed her in her crib where she slept all night. She reached up through the crib a few times to see if I was there but did really well. I was able to get a good nights sleep as well. She slept until 8:30 the next morning! Her poor little body was tired from all of the processing.










Catching up on your week & this post really got to me. It just really struck me that people there sincerely don't understand why you would want this BABY(!) and some are even angered by it. I was so amazed by that. I didn't realize that was the case. I'm surprised that you're a bit of a novelty there (stares from people) since I would've guessed a new family like yours would've been a routine sight in an area with an orphanage & throughout China, really. I'm just so ignorant about all of this, though. And what stuck second was the amazing way God provided helpful & comforting friends & resources at the perfect time; divine. I LOVE when God really shows off like that. 8-) Congratulations of your precious baby girl & safe travels home!
ReplyDelete