We met the driver at 8:30 and went to Shamian Island for Faith's exam. First we went to a child's clothing store to have a picture taken of Faith for the paperwork. Then we went to the Doctor's office for the physical exam. Our guide and Brian completed some paperwork while Faith and I went to the Waiting Room for Adopted Children. After they joined us the doctore came in to the first part of the exam. We didn't have to wait as long as we do at Peds East :) First he measure Faith's head, which she didn't like. Then he listen to her heart. She was ok with that after he let her check out the stethoscope. Then he had me lay her down so he could look at her legs, tummy, etc.. We then walked to a different room where a nurse looked at her eyes and ears. Then to another room for a nurse to weigh her (25 lbs) and measure her length. Lastly, we went to another room where a nurse took her temperature. The full exam was quick and overall Faith did really well. She is a healthy girl! I am sure she is not to happy about going to the doctor's office since she has had surgery and probably remembers part of the hospital experience. Normally when children are in the orphange they are dropped off and then picked up but no one stays with them. We had Louise read through Faith's Memory Book where her nanny made journal entries. We figured out Faith had her surgery in early April. Her nanny said that she waited in the waiting room during Faith's 3 hour surgery and that they let her hold Faith until she woke up. She noted that Faith recognized her when she woke up and that made the nanny happy. Praise! That really made this mama happy to hear. I always worried about my baby being alone, hurting in a hospital with no one to hold and comfort her.
Shopping! Shamian Island is known for their shopping so while we were there, why not check it out. The first store we went into lets you borrow a stroller from them while you shop around...as long as you buy something from them. We went into about 4 stores and bought some treasures for Faith and goodies for friends and family. Faith did really well. The boys are NOT good shoppers which is ok, they are boys. I was looking for a tea set and some traditional Chinese silks for Faith and some items to use for decor in the house. I was very pleased with everything we found and our guide was able to get us great deals. The White Swan Hotel is by all of the shopping. The rooms are under renovation which is why we were unable to stay there. The White Swan is legandary in adoption. American families always stay there and have their child's picture taken on the Red Couch. The lobby is open so we were able to walk around and take pictures. We took a few pictures of Faith on the Red Couch but I want to go back when she is wearing her silk. We then headed back to the hotel to do the usual; play, eat, nap, blog and finish unpacking. Louise came to our room at 5:30 to complete some paperwork and then we went to eat at a local Chinese Restaurant. The food was good but we'll miss our Chengdu Dumplings! Faith ate some tonight for dinner and had a hard time chewing them, they were tougher, so tomorrow we will have to find some noodles or different dumplings for her to eat.
Faith is continuing to amaze us with how well she is doing. She is a delight to be around. Today was the first day she let me play around with her hair and I was able to do Pigtails. She looked adorable!! She sat on a bench in front of the mirror and played with things on the counter while I did her hair. The past couple of days she has started holding her hands up wanting us to pick her up, she is cuddling more as I 'walk' her before bed and bringing books to us to read to her.
I meant to mention this the other day...we paid a personal car to take us back from the Panda base in Chengdu. She was conversing with our guide and asking about us. The driver has 3 children which is rare in China. We had our guide explain how that was possible. She said that if you and your spouse are from a 1 child family you are allowed 2 children together. If you choose to have another you have to pay a fee and are fired from your job. The driver said her and her husband are both self employed. They had 2 girls and really wanted a boy. I guess it is a good thing their 3rd is a boy :) Today I talked to our guide about Maternity leave in China. You are allowed 12 weeks leave. If you are older than 28, you get 15 extra days and if you are only going to have 1 child, you get 15 more days. Just thought this was interesting. I love learning how other cultures live.




















Mama Bev's comment on the last post made me tear up. ;) That has to make you feel better. Mimi's and sisters are very special. So happy to hear Faith continues to adjust so well. Would love some more pictures for we "faceless" people.... hint hint. :) Much love to you!
ReplyDeleteLove, Love, Love reading all your blog posts!!! Love hearing all about Faith!! xoxo!
ReplyDeleteI had this long message and POOF it vanished-
ReplyDeleteI will shorten a bit ;) I am so glad to hear how well her Doctor visit went. She is such a healthy baby girl. I knew the second you had her in your arms you would love her just as much as you do the boys! I love you post and look for them several times a day b/c I couldn't figure out what time it was in China. Glad to see the clock!!
I think and pray for you all a lot and often think throughout the day of how y'all and Faith are doing. It is so neat how God has put you all on my heart the past months.